Yoga Wellness partnered with the Alberta Health Services Weight Wise Program in 2008 and continually receives referrals from medical professionals.
The class is adapted to accommodate the specific structural, physiological and emotional conditions unique to the overweight or obese individual.
Students must be able to get down to the floor with the aid of a chair.
Participants in a Yoga Wellness Plus-Size Class can expect to:
- control or prevent illness related to obesity
- enhance breath and body awareness
- improve function, range of motion and balance
- increase circulation
- enhance flexibility
- reduce pain
- release chronic contraction
- stabilize what is unstable and strengthen what is weak
- experience relaxation through meditation
Plus-Size Classes include:
- A refined art of sequencing to suit the intention and context of each practice
- A focus on the function of a pose as opposed to form
- Use of repetition in and out of the posture in addition to holding postures
- The emphasis on breath as the medium for movement in posture and the science of adapting the pattern of breathing to produce different effects
- Resting comfortably in a posture to deepen muscular release and rehabilitate connective tissue
- Use of asymmetrical postures to protect the spine and rebalance muscle patterning
- Focus on sequences to strengthen the muscular structure supporting the neck/shoulders, back and hips/pelvis
- Self healing practices
- Body knowledge and awareness techniques
Viniyoga means "appropriate application" or "to notice and begin where you are right now". It is a therapeutic specific practice that addresses the muscular structure, physiological and emotional body.
Ayurveda is a sister science to yoga that includes breath practices, self care, weight reduction and weight management guidelines.
Register Now - See Schedule & Registration information